Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 24- 1930's-40's Design

Besides the fact that the house itself was a Sears Roebuck house model in the 1930's there are only a few items I have found that might be original to the house...or at least very close to original. Under three layers of floor in the Main Bathroom I found this black and gold 3"x3" checkerboard patterned linoleum floor. If it would have been tile I might have been able to salvage it but since it was linoleum (which actually use to be made completely from flax) it was damaged from water and tore easily when trying to get the layer of plywood off of the top of it. It definitely could have been the original flooring to the bathroom. It was laid right on top of the wood structure of the house and then it looked like there was an orange carpet placed over it at some point and then sometime within the last 10 years they installed a 13x13 sticky tile down over plywood. It was very hard to get all of those layers up so I did ask for some strong muscle assistance.
The other piece in the house that I love is the built-in curio cabinet. I am not sure when it was built, but I love the style and character. You can tell it has been painted many times...and I am not going to keep the blue. I would try and strip it but since my kitchen cabinets are going to be white I thought this would look nice if it matches.
It is starting to take shape...just wait till you see what happens next!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The original owners were Purdue fans!

The Johnston Family said...

good one Jamie! Go Boilers! keep chugging away mel!

The Sandoval Family said...

What's next??? What's next??? I can't stand the suspense :)