Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 28- Kinda like a Horror Movie

On this day I tackled the basement....which has been said to be like one of those horror movie basements when you really aren't sure if you want to go down or not- especially at night when there are no lights that currently work. There have been some "ghostly" moments. A few weeks before this I was having strange water issues...one faucet would randomly start leaking and then you would turn that off and another one would start leaking. There use to be a shower down here just randomly on the wall...like one might decide to strip and shower while standing in the wide open basement...it was weird and scary. All the old galvanized pipes were just nasty looking. I wasn't sure I would want to wash my hands let alone shower in any water that ran through them. So they were all gutted and replaced (which helped the look a bit too). I do still have foundation issues when it rains...but then again I don't have gutters yet so I am hoping once the rain is not pouring next to my foundation that that will go away. The entire foundation and chimney were tuckpointed throughout (for those who are not sure what that means: motar was replaced/repaired in as needed). So anyway, I spent the afternoon just cleaning up the mess from contractors, the mess of old cabling, phone and weird misc stuff hanging from the ceiling and some old plumbing. Here are some before and after pictures: Before:
and after.Before...and after.
Not sure if the pictures do the justice but it was kinda extreme when it actually wasn't so scary anymore. Although I do still need to get that old OIL tank out...volunteers anyone?

No comments: