Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 66- Hardest tile job EVER

So I have tiled twice before at my old house. I did the hallway bathroom floor and a small mosaic countertop to a built-in buffet. So I thought to myself- Hey this is definitely one place I can save myself a TON of money. And honestly just with the tile jobs I did I probably could go on that show "10 Grand in your Hand". (I should have gotten a quote first just so I would know how much I really did save). Anyways, needless to say I was once a novice and now I would call myself "experienced"...but still not an expert.
So the first room that was ready for Tile was the 2nd floor bathroom. I wanted to do something very simple so that the floor could go with any decor scheme because if I am living here for 13 years then I am not sure my 16 & 18 year old teenagers will want a bright blue and orange fish bathroom...but you never know! I was glad to be starting with this room too because it was small and there was nothing to work around except a shower basin.
Well all I can say is even though the tile is awesome (and I am awesome) this turned into the hardest tile job ever. Essentially I took what i think was suppose to be a backsplash wall tile and turned it into a floor tile and there were sooooo many grout lines and so many crooked walls and soooo many tile cuts that it took me 5 hours to lay it, 2 hours to grout it and 2 hours just to go back and wipe off the grout because it was drying too fast for me to catch up with it. Anyways I don't think I can describe the angony on my knees and the fact that I did all of this on a 2nd story at 85 degrees with no power except a fan that was blowing directly on me (and therefore drying the grout). BUT...it does look fabulous! (if you don't look too close)...
the things sticking up below are spacers if you haven't done tile before...

1 comment:

The Johnston Family said...

saw the tile in person....and i love it!!! didn't see any blemishes! =)