Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 67 & 68- Lets Get Crazy

So I had had this crazy idea pictured in my head for my bathroom tile which I typically do all the time and then can never find what I am actually looking for. Well this time it actually came true and I LOVE it! My main bathroom (which is the only bathroom on the first floor...and I guess the "master bath" as well?) is off the main hallway on the first floor. I wanted it to be pretty stunning without spending a ton of money. Which meant that I was going to have to do it myself as much as possible. What I paid for: Wing wall built, Greenboard on all the walls (special drywall made for wet areas) and Hardyboard around the tub (special mold-proof board used for underneath tiles) and install of the tub itself. I actually had room for a 6'tub to go into this space but with the width being skinny it wasn't worth the $1600 price tag for the extra foot in length. So I decided to do a standard 5' tub and would spend the money on some really cool tile. I ordered a vanity online from Ebay and bought a toilet at Lowes which would get installed by my plumber...after I did all of the tile.
So I found a large 15x15 white porcelain tile at Lowes and an accent glass tile that had a mix of different nuetrals and also had some travertine pieces mixed in. I wasn't sure at first if you could really put glass tiles on the floor but after talking to some experts I found out it wasn't a problem (just don't put large pieces that you could slip on obviously).
The tile adhesive looked like vanilla ice cream...
note to self: don't tile when hungry.

2 comments:

The Johnston Family said...

very nice!! looks great in person too!! =)

Jonesy said...

That's awesome!!! I love this! Nice job!