Monday, April 15, 2013

The Dining Room Details

So I will have to admit that when I first saw this Curio cabinet I did not fall in love.  To think back about that I would call myself crazy today.  I am usually really good about seeing past color, pattern, etc to see somethings potential but this blue just screamed Country to me...or maybe it was the small flowered wallcovering inside that had something to do with it.  (Sorry I missed the close up picture of that).
If only the curio cabinet could talk....I bet it would have some stories to tell from 1938 when it was originally put in place, and I bet it would have yelled at the people who covered up the gorgeous hardwood floors with ceramic tile...and espeically the people who painted it blue.  But I think deep down in this Curio's heart, he knew that one day he would be brought back to the glory that it once was.
And I have my mama to thank for that.  (She is my favorite tedious painter).  I love to paint...but I am pretty messy when I do (which you can see by the clothes I wear).  And although we may have all gotten high on the oil-based glossy paint it was well worth it.  I went with a very dark wall color in my Dining Room.  There is not much wall space due to the openings on either end and the large front window so I could get away with it.  The White curio really pops out and pulls the painted kitchen cabinets through into the room as well. Check out the before and after shot below...
Sometimes it is all in the details.  In order to really pull a room together you have to think through the details.  While almost any knob would have looked great on this Curio I went with a dark knob to give it contrast but the coolest thing about it is that is matches the bronze glass details at the ends of the curtain rod across the room.
 When creating a backdrop for a Curio or even a bookcase it is nice to draw the eye into the space. The previous ugly flower wallcovering was a bit too distracting though (and it also did not want to come off) so I lined the inside of the cabinet with new white wallcovering that has a great contemporary yes simplistic pattern to it.  So the classic beauty is accented very subtly.  And then I filled it with all my favorite glass dishes (most which I inherited from my Grandmother!).  I am not the type of of person who only uses the china on special occasions...the kids and I LOVE to put all of our desserts and fruit salads into gorgeous glass dishes, it just makes it that more fun!  
Enjoy every detail of your house including what you fill your cabinets with!

No comments: