Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Demolition Day 5- A demo crew AND a Roof!

Well I not only had a crew out on my roof yesterday, but I also had a crew inside to demo. My little sis Cheryl, parents and even my grandma came over yesterday afternoon! We tore down a ceiling (mental note to self: do not wear a tank top when tearing down a ceiling because you will be coated in insulation and just general filth). That was the messiest job yet.
But we were tough!
Plaster walls and ceiling will eventually be laminated with drywall after the plumbing all gets gutted and redone, including the bathroom above.
My dad got the 2x4 out that was the bottom of the wall I tore out the day before...I think it was more sturdy than the wall! Then we thought we were going to have to cut the drain to get the base out but no worries there! When we got down in the basement the drain just pulled right apart! Niiiiiice! Gotta love high quality.
While the inside was being gutted the roof had been torn off that morning. All three layers of shingles! Needless to say it took them longer than expected and they are wrapping it up this morning so I will post final pictures later today.
It is a pretty steep roof, they were using ropes just in case.
And you can tell it is an old house when it has 2x4 as the decking instead of plywood. None of it needed to be replaced so that was good news. The facia boards were all rotted and got ripped off along with the old old gutters. The house right now has foundation moisture issues due to the gutters essentially being non-existent for who nows how long. I even got a big surprise yesterday due to the existing gutters being installed very poorly...but that is a whole other blog.
The back of the house got wrapped up last night, the picture doesn't really do the new roof justice, it is very pretty 3dimensional shingle (color: driftwood) and will look amazing once the trim goes back up and the house gets painted my favorite color!!

No comments: