Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sheer Brilliance

So do you ever watch Holmes on Homes on the HGTV network? Well let's just say he would LOVE this house. Because that so far whoever has done any kind of repair or renovation to this house before I bought it completely sucks (except for whoever built that extra braced wing wall in the bathroom). All the plumbing throughout has shown some sort of leak issue. There is duct tape holding together alot of the HVAC, there what is suppose to be a air supply going into the bathroom that really goes into an air return. The plaster patch in the master bedroom is the most pitiful patch I have ever seen. The false wall downstairs covering the crawl area is just scary. The tile backsplash in the kitchen looks like a 5 year old did it. The new stick down tile floors in the kitchen and bath are just plain ugly, and the basement cabling and wiring and everything else that is suspending in all directions of the ceiling kinda freaks me out.
But after yesterday I can now give an award to the top #1 Stupid Contractor- The Gutter Man. See the picture below? See the small 2'x2' gutter that is at the bottom of the A-frame dormer? Guess what- it doesn't go anywhere. It is just for symetry with the other side. So guess where the water goes that sits inside it? INSIDE the WALL! Sheer Brilliance!
Sooooooo needless to say the outside corner of my dining room is just alot of rotten wood as well as the whole structure above my front door and behind the front door. Awesome. Well honestly I cannot say that this is the biggest shocker to me, I knew there was going to be some sort of issue. I pulled back some bubbled wallpaper at least a month ago (accidentally of course since the house was not mine at the time) in one corner of the dining room and thought I saw water damage to the plaster and when I looked outside and knew exactly why. I think it just just funny as how I noticed this and not the inspector or the appraisal guy. I think I might just start my own show!
Guess I will be ripping out more plaster this weekend! And I am thinking that maybe when my gutters get installed later this week I will decide to go with what actually works vs. it looking pretty. What do you think?

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Melinda - you are amazing for taking on all of this. There is no way I could ever do that. I would have no clue where to start. You definitely have an creative eye. You can see the whole picture and that helps! Way to go! By the way I am loving following the blog!!!