Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Eagles Nest in the Dormer

So even since December before they flew south for the Winter there were two Sparrows scoping out where they would build a nest in the A-frame attic dormer of the house. There was a hole in the wire mesh screen behind the vent you see below. I should have closed up the hole before Spring but then again I didn't think it would take 3 months to close on this house either! So needless to say the two little sparrows were back trying to build their spring nest before I got the house last week.
Now by the size of the nest you would not think that these were two little sparrows...but more like two Eagles. I stuck my camera inside the dormer a few weeks ago bc I was afraid if I went in there they would poke my eyes out (What? Haven't you see the movie "The Birds"?)
I think their goal was to build the nest up to the vent so they could sit nicely on their eggs while watching the world outside...but holy cow that nest is 30" tall!
So I took the opportunity yesterday with my roofers there to scare them away and finally went in the attic. Their nest had collapsed a bit since the week before and I am thinking that instead of being sad about ruining their home and taking over their month of hard work that I am really helping them realize that maybe with the economy this year that a bird mansion is really not the way to go.
I am still afraid that they might find me and poke my eyes out...but I did have my dad seal up the vent until I get a new window installed. This little attic dormer/Eagles nest area is going to be finished out for a new toy room!

2 comments:

The Johnston Family said...

Okay, so I just caught up with all the blogs...you are crazy and amazing! You did a lot already and hang in there, it will come to somewhat of an end soon! I love the bird mansion economy note! Hope to make it soon to help you out! sorry the weekend we were there you weren't quite ready for us yet! =) At least the weather will be nicer and not so cold inside! Love ya!!! --take on the world

Unknown said...

I don't think I have ever seen such a big nest!!